- Exploratory services at St. Paul's in Mauston began in 1896 with Pastor W. Parisuis of Elroy conducting services. Shortly after that, Pastor Emil Zaremba was assigned from the WELS Seminary to work full time in Mauston.
- On August 23, 1896 die evangelische lutherische Sanctus Paulus Gemeinde was organized. In the beginning, the congregation met in the German Presbyterian Church, and then in the spring of 1898, the congregation of twelve families decided to construct their own place of worship.
- After purchasing a site at the corner of Martin and Williams Streets, a building was constructed and dedicated on June 12, 1898. Our first parsonage stands next to that church and was completed in 1904. In the next few years the Lord blessed the congregation with more members, and with it the need for a new building.
- The cornerstone of that church building was laid in September, and it was dedicated in December of 1938. The congregation called that building home until the summer of 1995. In the summer of 1990, a new parsonage was donated to the congregation, and that is located near Mile Bluff Medical Center on Division Street.
- On July 30, 1995, our present church building was dedicated to the Lord's service. In 2010, our congregation recognized the need to reach our neighbors in Adams County were there are no WELS churches and began an outreach congregation in Adams-Friendship. As both congregations grow and welcome new members, we know that the future of St. Paul's Church is in the Lord's hands.
- In 2006, the members of St. Paul's Lutheran Church in Mauston decided to begin an outreach initiative in Adams County. A weekly Bible study began in the basement of Carlson's Rustic Ridge and was largely attended by members of St. Paul's in Mauston who lived in Adams County. As the classes continued, more people showed interest.
- The interest was so great that the decision was made to start worship services in Adams. In September of 2010, the first ever WELS worship service took place in Adams County. It was held in the Adams Community Center where services continued each Sunday. Mauston's pastors, Joe Fricke and Colin Vanderhoof, split their time between the congregations in Mauston and Adams.
- Worship services averaged around 30 people, and with continued interest, the members of St. Paul's decided that it was necessary to call a full-time pastor in Adams to continue the outreach efforts.
- In 2012, Pastor Brian Schmidt was assigned from Wisconsin Lutheran Seminary to serve at the mission congregation in Adams.
- With continued growth, more space was needed. The congregation decided to rent the current building on Main Street in Adams in October of that year to use full-time for services, an office, and other weekly activities.
- With attendance increasing each year, the members of St. Paul's decided in 2015 to purchase land across from the Adams County Fairgrounds in Friendship to build a new church building to accommodate the growth of the church.
- A building fund was started later that year and plans are currently in the works for the new building.
The Lord's servants, whom he sent to shepherd us in the past:
- 1896 - 1902 - Emil Zaremba
- 1903 - 1907 - William Nommensen
- 1907 - 1911 - Martin Plass
- 1911 - 1914 - W. Ulrich
- 1914 - 1931 - William Lutz
- 1931 - 1956 - Albert Winter
- 1956 - 1964 - Carl Rosenow
- 1964 - 1987 - Max Herrmann
- 1987 - 1996 - David Leistekow
- 1997 - 2004 - Paul Steinberg
- 2000 - 2012 - Johann Meyer
- 2005 - 2012 - Collin Vanderhoof
- 2012 - 2016 - Souksamay Phetsanghane
- 2012 - 2017 - Brian Schmidt